Tuesday, September 15, 2009

LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD


Well, well; I just got through throwing a book at my husband (he threw it back at me at a later point). We both missed. What I love the most about my husband is the fact that after a breath he can talk it out. We spent about an hour talking this one out. Still...we did it.

Gary and I don't always understand each other. We don't always relate. After 15 years we have a love truce. We rarely argue..we rarely fight...but when we do it is not something I would want on reality t.v.

True love is perhaps the hardest thing in the world to find! Good God, the compromises you have to make...the bargains you have to break...the lies you have to tell and then tell yourself. You have to finally realize that the "fairy tale" doesn't exist. There is "No Happy Every After". There is just life.

I adore my husband. I admire him. I think he is the best person I have ever known. He is the guy that sticks by me through thick and thin. I have believed that a lot of people would stay with me, but....this is it for me. Gary is my rock. I believe in my heart that nothing could ever end us. He tells me the same.

I haven't been easy...nor has he.....but....here we are....15 years later. Gary is still the first person I want to speak to in the morning and the last person I wish to speak to at night.

I actually love that we had a fight. It wasn't fun to go through...but dammit....it made me love him all the more!!!!! Help me, help me...but I actually truly and deeply love my husband!!!

I'm glad I have learned the art of compromise and denial...otherwise, I would be just another gay man waiting for the handsome prince than never comes (p.s. Gary is handsome). This one is for you my dearest Gary. You have my heart.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the thoughts on your real, adult, love relationship. An eloquent tribute. Real love with a real human being does indeed take work. Congratulations to you and Gary for finding each other, and for the work you both put in to keep the relationship strong, real, and truly loving. And thanks for sharing that glimpse of your heart with us.

    ReplyDelete